The following story occurred at a weekly Thursday Outreach Pop-up event.
“During the Thursday Pop-up, two of our regular clients came running to the tent carrying a lifeless dog and asking for help.” Reported Jason Cates, Outreach Programs Manager with the Coalition.
“The dog was quickly assessed. It had no apparent injuries, respirations were not adequate, and it was unresponsive. The clients were questioned about the condition of the dog, in which they stated that they just found the dog like that. I asked could the dog have possibly ingested an opiate, and the client stated yes. The dog was given one 8mg dose of Kloxxado, a nasal spray to reverse the effect of an opioid overdose. Shortly after, the dog began breathing more rapidly, the decision was made to transport the dog to a pet ER and was handed over to a higher level of care without further incident.”
Cates reflects, “Without the quick thinking of the clients and the Outreach Team, the dog could have passed away at the Pop-up.”
Share this post!